Friday, December 30, 2011

By my standards





I feel like I can't really do any better. This past week has been nothing but amazing surprises, realizations, and introductions to many new things in my life.

My birthday came by saying good bye to my first friend I made out here in Palm Springs. Moving on to bigger and better things in his life and chasing his dreams in Los Angeles. It was bitter sweet... until after bar number 3 on Christmas Eve... and maybe five or six birthday shots later.. it just became.. fun.
Dinner downtown with my mom, and late night munchies with my friends out in Rancho Mirage. Running down El Paseo in Palm Desert, laughing, and singing Elton John at the top of your lungs is something I needed in my life. I was surrounded by white lights, window shopping, a spiked hot cocoa and a few good people.

Christmas morning came with a trip to Borrego Springs and ahhh. A spa. Three hours of massages, facials, reflexology and mani pedi time. Come on! It can't get any better... right?
Wrong. On our way back home we grabbed my dog, a few CDs and some fashion magazines. A two hour drive to Huntington Beach to see my wife, the Pacific Ocean. Randomly ran into a good friend of mine from San Francisco. Shared an espresso, and talked about life after school. He's studying for his MFA in Photography, and is one of the best one on one talkers I know. There are moments where I feel he really dives into you when he speaks. I feel that he might be too afraid to put himself out there fully, might be his ex-frat boy days stopping him. He's a total wild card and I love going out with him. Always a fun time. Usually a lot of drinks. And theres always good music and dancing involved.

Grabbed tacos (is there anything better than a christmas taco on the beach? I think not), and walked our way down the strip. Found a Dog Beach, and gave Gus the play time of his life. He made a girlfriend, Stella, the French Bulldog. He ran laps around dobermans, and boxers. He pounced on retrievers and.. got very very wet.

I came home later that evening to opening more presents. Low and behold. The only thing I asked for this year- a juicer! My life.. has changed. There's something extremely therapeutic by making your own juice. I've found a new appreciation for carrot juice. And I swear to god I will never buy a $5 bottle of orange juice ever again. Noted- 5 oranges makes 2 days worth of OJ. Pretty good deal. I'll never look back!
What I like about it also is I just FEEL good after drinking fresh juice. I can't wait to find fun, new recipes for juice. I found one for a mango, orange, carrot and blueberry juice.. I'm thinking I'll be spending more time at the Farmers Market.

I spent Monday night with Jaber. SO happy to have him in my life. Seriously such a good friend and all around fun person to be around with. We ended up at Kimi and shared a large bottle of saki, had some of the best sushi of my life, and were pleasantly surprised by a mutual friend of ours showing up. I tried my first muscle, which I have to say wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be. I got happily buzzed, and heated up from the outside, desert cold. We shared conversations on our up coming trip to San Francisco, music, favorite foods, and current love interests. There really is something truly beautiful to be able to speak to someone of the opposite sex about your interests, with knowing there are no judgements, no biased opinions, and having someone who will really listen to you- not just wait for their turn to talk.

Work has been killing me.. but I'm saving up for my week in New York. And I'm already getting the next three days off. Not too shabby. I'm enjoying working with the PR aspect of my job. I'm also enjoying the fact I'm still employed since we lost 3 people this past month. Knock on wood.

Off to hike with my dog. And just simply enjoy my life. You should too.

No comments: